Friday 6 November 2015

Peace, Habits, and Big Beautiful Books

This is the first normal week we've had in while, after the fun of leading Thanksgiving Assembly, having our Grandparents as guests, and having a short week for convention. As we moved through this week, there were three things in particular that I noticed.

1. Peace - it's a difficult concept to put into words or to understand, and as we discussed, every student came up with a "Peace is..." sentence, through reading books and discussing (once we made clear that we are talking about peaCE and not peaS!). 

2. We have put a big focus on writing and text this week! Students learned that writing is putting your thoughts on paper, and we've encouraged this in several ways, like playing letter games and co-writing the morning message.




And, we started writing in our Big Beautiful Books! Students learn to think about they want to write first, then make lines for the number of words. They can then pretend write words, sound out initial sounds and pretend write what they don't know, or "spell the letters like an adult." This approach to writing gets all fourteen students involved and excited about writing, which we will now do every day, and lets them progress at their own pace And they love it!


3. The third thing that really stood out to me this week was the leadership I am seeing in your children. This has been so exciting! I walk by during play time and here someone suggest making a win-win; I have a student come to me and say the centre they want is full but they will be proactive and find another one. I have another group of three students come ask me to see something they synergized to make! 

Habit 1: Be Proactive. Students solve problems, find creative things to do and ways to do it, and do the right thing even if no one is looking. 

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind. Have a plan; set goals.

Habit 3: Put First Things First. Follow a plan. Prioritize.

Habit 4: Think Win-Win. I believe everyone can win.

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood. I listen before I talk.

Habit 6: Synergize. Together is better.

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw. Balance feels best. I do things that help my body, heart, soul, and mind.



Show these pictures to your children and ask them to explain what they were doing!



No comments:

Post a Comment